Wondering what the best ways are to style your Dr. Martens? Check out this guide!
Dr. Martens are some of the most recognizable and iconic shoes out there. From their humble beginnings in the early 20th century, to their original British working class patrons, then on to music superstars, everyone seems to want a pair. And with good reason. These shoes are made differently, and they’re made to fit each individual. That individuality is why the brand has been around for 50 years and still appeals to all kinds of people from all walks of life today.
The need to stand out from the crowd and walk your own path rings true today just as much as it did all those years ago. And why not do it in style and comfort with a pair of Dr. Martens?
But where can you snag yourself a pair, and what are some of the top ways you can style these popular shoes to express yourself? Well in this article we’re going to discuss:
- Where to get Dr. Martens on sale + how to wear them
- What to wear with Dr. Martens
- Which Dr. Martens are right for you!
Where to get Dr. Martens
Where to get Dr. Martens and what you can expect from their fit
Looking to score a pair of Dr. Martens shoes or boots? Well you’re in luck because they’re available in all kinds of places! If you want to go straight to the source, check out their official website. You can order all the latest styles and colors, and have them shipped right to your door. They also have a sale section where you can pick up styles at a discount. In addition to shoes, the Dr. Marten’s site also has lots of items you can use to help you break in and care for your new shoes such as:
- Shoe protector
- Polish cream
- Shoe cloths
- Shoe brushes
- Heel pads
If you want to get your hands on some Dr. Martens at a discounted price, then you’ve got to look at what Shopbop has in its inventory. They have all kinds of options including sandals, flat shoes, and the iconic boots, but offered to you at a sale price. If you find that they don’t have your size in a pair of shoes you’re interested in, don’t worry, because they’re always adding new inventory, so make sure to check back often.
Dr. Martens also has their own brick and mortar stores that they operate throughout the country, so you can always drop in and see what they have in stock. Additionally you can find Dr. Martens at a variety of other stores such as Dick’s, Journeys, DSW, Zappos, and more.
How do Dr. Martens fit?
It’s important to get the right fit when it comes to any shoe, but especially Dr. Martens. Check out their size guide if you want to order online, and make sure to properly measure your foot. They suggest taking the measurement of your foot from toe to heel wearing the socks you normally would, and compare that to the length of the sole on the product you’re interested in. Remember, the size of the shoe is the length of the insole of the shoe, not the length of the foot that is supposed to fit in it.
Each product varies, so keep in mind you might need a different size in boots than you would in a pair of their sandals. That’s why it’s so important to get an accurate measurement of your foot for each pair you want to purchase. The wrong shoe size can lead to issues breaking them in and can really be painful on your feet, not to mention you may end up returning them.
Since they only offer whole sizes, if you’re in between at a half size, the Dr. Martens’ site recommends going down a size. Keep in mind whether or not you prefer a tighter or a roomier fit as well, as this can be the difference maker between two sizes. There is a breaking in process, so don’t be discouraged if your shoes don’t fit like a glove as soon as you get them out of the box. They are designed to get better and more conformed to your foot the more you wear them and the longer you have them.
How to lace Dr. Martens
There are all kinds of ways you can lace up your Dr. Martens, it all depends on how you like to style them and how long your laces are.
- Classic lace. This is the one you see the most and is recommended for boots. Start by stringing your laces through the bottom two eyelets so your bar is inside the shoe. Then lace up as normal all the way to the top, or leave the top two eyelets open and wrap your laces through the heel loop then tie in front.
- Ladder lace. If you have taller boots or boots that still feel a little too roomy, a ladder lace will look great. Start by stringing the laces through the bottom two eyelets again, with the bar on the inside. Then run the lace up vertically to the pair of eyelets above. Then cross the laces horizontally through the “rungs” you’ve created on each side and thread through the eyelets above. Repeat this ladder process until you reach the top.
- Bar lace. Begin by threading the laces through the bottom eyelets with the lace facing out. Then string it through the opposite side eyelet then back through the same side eyelet so you’re left with bars of laces facing out. Continue to the top.
- Bow tie lace. Pull the laces through the bottom two eyelets so the bar is inside the shoe. Then alternate crossing over to the opposite eyelet twice to create the bows that are on the outside of the shoes. Then string under for one eyelet on each side (so there’s a gap between each bow), and repeat crossing over to create the bow tie effect.
How to wear Dr. Martens (and what to wear with them!)
Want to know what the best ways are to style your Dr. Martens? Well that depends on your own personal style! There really isn’t a right or wrong way to wear Dr. Martens, just as long as you like the way they look and you’re comfortable in the outfit you’re in. We have a few suggestions to style your Dr. Martens, but they’re designed to show off your own uniqueness!
- Shorts, a tee, and a flannel
- Skinny jeans and a tee or sweater
- Short skirt and a chunky sweater
- Flowery dress and a hat
- Trousers and a blouse
- Skirt and tights
- Long skirt and a tee
What you wear with Dr. Martens all depends on your style, and how you like to express yourself through your fashion. That could mean wearing them with ripped jeans and a band tee one day, and another, a long flowy skirt with a crop top. Because Dr. Martens come in all kinds of styles and colors, you’ll never get bored deciding what you want to wear with them.
- THE RIGHT JEANS FOR YOUR BODY TYPE
- TEDDY JACKET + FAUX-LEATHER PANTS
- WHITE SWEATER DRESS + THIGH-HIGH BOOTS
Which Dr. Martens should I get?
What kind of Dr. Martens speaks to your sense of style?
If you’re debating on which style of Dr. Martens to get, you can’t go wrong with the 1460 Serena 8 eye sherpa boot in black. This iconic boot has all the Dr. Martens style you want, including the regular sole, flat profile, cowhide leather, and lace up detail. But this boot is for anyone who wants to keep wearing their boots in the cold weather, since they come with sherpa fleece lining. Your feet will never have to worry about being cold in the snow or the rain again in these toasty boots. It’s easy to style these boots too, and you can wear them with jeans, leggings, trousers, or even a warm skirt.
Pick these up on sale at Shopbop right now!
Voss II Sandals
Looking for a pair of Dr. Martens perfect for the summer? Don’t want to wear socks but want to still rock your favorite shoe brand? Then you’ve got to pick up these Voss II sandals at Shopbop. Made with cowhide leather with a striking matte finish, you’re really going to stand out from the crowd of basic black sandals when you wear these. You’ll love the contrast stitching, adjustable buckle straps, and the EVA lightweight sole that will always keep you light on your feet.
Pick these up at Shopbop today!
Adrian Bex Loafer
If you need something slightly more sophisticated for the office or for a special occasion, you can always turn to the Adrian Bex loafer in black. This classic style shoe is given a little upgrade with the iconic Dr. Martens contrast stitching, matte finish, and an air-cushioned platform sole. Wear these to work with trousers and a blouse, or wear them out for a fun lunch date with cropped pants and a sweater. Head over to Shopbop and pick these up now for a discounted price!
Dr. Martens can be worn all kinds of ways, and are meant to show off your individual style. When you pick up a pair of these shoes, you’re choosing your own path!